The Ghostman ASL Tutor is a solution I designed for American Sign Language (ASL) learners and speakers. It is an iPad/tablet application with a goal to provide non-ASL signers an easy and quick way to learn ASL, track their progress over the course of their lessons and provide a smooth way to communicate with an ASL signer. The system relied on the tablet’s camera and gesture recognition technology.
Functions of the application:
- Learn ASL: Lessons, vocabulary lists or their own custom material by following an on-screen instructor.
- Conversation: Users who can have an in-person conversation with an ASL signer by leveraging the gesture to text technology.
- Track Progress: Users can track their learning goals and achievements.
- Developed the concept and design for the ‘Conversation feature’
- Created a flipbook prototype of the iPad app
- Created persona, storyboards, task analysis and task flow charts
- Conducted survey and usability tests for user research